Sunday, January 5, 2014

Filler or Fuller? Posting every day

Sitting down to queue up this week's posts, I find myself wondering: what is the "ideal" posting schedule?

Yes, I know it varies from person to person, blog to blog, so what is ideal for me? I like the idea of write ever day, but does that really translate to blog every day, for me? What are you, the readers, interested in seeing? Would you rather have a little something every day, whether on topic or not, or would you rather have more meaning posts that aren't as frequent? Perhaps a theme for every day of the week?

The more I ponder, the more I think that every day is not quite right for me.

But on the other hand, I personally check my favorite web comics every day, regardless of their posting schedule. It's just something habitual for me. I check them all, some have new content, some don't, but I make the rounds nearly every day anyways. So for me, if I were the reader, I'd be interested in seeing something new every day, whether it was a particularly meaty post, or just some fun fluff.

I suppose this is where tagging comes in. Things like Utter Silliness (or Utter Silkiness, which I liked so much I left even though it was originally a typo) are clearly going to be fluff, and are labeled as such. You know what you're getting going into it. On Writing is going to be more practical advice, or at least topical ramblings, and The Writings another beast again.

But this still doesn't answer every day or not.

For now, I'm going to try to stick to daily, but if I find I'm posting more fluff than meat, I'll pull back. I don't want to waste your time or mine.

Then again, when was a snake in a tiny top hat ever a waste of anyone's time?

-R

No comments: